Thursday, January 7, 2010

DIssonance

Dissonance [noun] (dihs uh nuhns)
  1. A harsh and disagreeable combination, especially of sounds
---

Rarely does post-decision dissonance hit me after making a purchase.  I'm not an impulse buyer when it comes clothing, electronics, or the latest music download (although, there have been occasions [*coughcough*MichaelBuble*coughcough* when I'm a tad trigger happy with iTunes].  I am, however, an impulse shopper.

The difference?
  • Impulse buyers leave the store with something and feel bad about it for a time. 
  • Impulse shoppers leave the store without purchasing but pine over an item for days, weeks, even years.  
For example: The Sweater, 2006.  The perfect, yet too expensive Sweater.  I tried it on, loved it, and put it back when I saw the price.  Since that faithful Fall day, I've pined - pined in a way that makes me mention The Sweater every Fall and Winter, to my family's shegrin.

See, while post-decision dissonance rarely hits me after making a purchase, it often goes on a full-frontal attack when I don't.

2 comments:

  1. I need to know what this sweater looked like.
    Details, please.
    Also, I'll be heading up to Burlington today. I don't suppose you'd be around to grab your cupcake container? If not, no worries. I'll be back next week, probably for a few days.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was lovely - an Irish sweater with a bulky shawl collar in cream. It skimmed the body and hit my hips perfectly! Uh, to die for...

    I'm in H20bury today, so I wouldn't be around B-town until 6 or 6:30 PM. Maybe next week would be better.

    ReplyDelete