Thursday, January 14, 2010

Rejoinder

Rejoinder [noun] (rih joyn duhr)
  1. Response
--

 "Never," he spit out, bathing in the glow of what he believed to be a clever rejoinder.  "My body is a temple."

"A temple which is pickled in liquor, anointed in cigarette smoke, and served only the rankest prostitutes from 5th and Main.  If that's a temple, I'm a monkey's uncle."

He stared at her blankly.

"Let me put it this way: You do all that to your body but your refuse to let me - a time-tested female with years of experience in the art of grooming - pluck that unsightly caterpillar growing between your eyes?"  Upon the word "pluck," he winced, taking a step back and waving his hands madly.

"As I said, a temple.  You wouldn't do that to Zeus, would you?"

"If you were Zeus, we wouldn't be having this conversation," she retorted, tweezers held at the ready.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
    Will you write me a novel full of witty and deeply biting repartee like this?
    Or, at least, a short story?
    Let's collaborate.
    XOXO
    P.S- I'll be in Burlington next week. Not sure what days. I'll follow up with you as soon as I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! I'll write tomes for you, my dear ;)

    P.S - Yes, I need a little Carissa dose before you leave for the Italian country side. You know the number; call me! <--read in Valley Girl voice.

    ReplyDelete