Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Exonerate

Exonerate [verb] (ihg zahn uh rayt)
  1. To clear of blame
--

I remember being exonerated.

I was young - a mere slice of who I am now; a wee sprout; a little shaver; a tiny tot, if you will.  To be more specific,  I must have been 6- or 7-years-old.  I went to the pantry for a snack, found a plastic baggy with pretzels, and started munching.  My memory then goes a tad fuzzy ... until I recall my mother yelling at me about  eating an entire box of Girl Scout cookies (the shortbread kind), my father in tow.  I tell her I didn't eat them; she holds up my empty plastic baggy as proof, saying something to the lines of, "How could you lie when I have the packaging right here?"  I start to cry, as I always do when confronted with authority.  It is at this moment that my father pokes his head in the pantry and emerges with a full sleeve of Girl Scout cookies. 

To say the least, I was exonerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment