Thursday, January 21, 2010

Meticulous

Meticulous [adj] (mih tihk yuh luhs)
  1. Extremely careful
  2. Fastudious
  3. Painstaking
--

I'm oddly meticulous when tired.

You would think it would be the other way around: sleepy means sloppy.  But no - I cling to detail when my eyelids refuse to stay open.

It may be a tactic to induce sleep, frankly.  If I know that those utensils need to be parallel on the place-setting because I have done it so many times in the past, then my brain can go on autopilot.  If I see a stack of shoes at the bottom of the stairs and know that they belong upstairs, in their respected boxes, my brain, once again, can set this little lady on a course and stop paying attention. 

My brain may actually be more tired than my body, delegating tasks to my hands while it gets on its robe and nightcap. 

Unfortunately, every time I think of being meticulous I will now think of my brain looking like Dicken's Scrooge.  Fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment